Although Jim Acheson passed away in early 2023, his passion for giving back to his hometown continues, stronger than ever. Over the course of the last several weeks of 2023 and early 2024 the James C. Acheson Donor Advised Fund provided numerous grants throughout the Port Huron area, including;
- $25,000 to launch a new endowment fund for “P.S. You’re My Hero”
- $10,000 to the Port Huron Police Department
- $12,500 to Mid-City Nutrition
- $50,000 to SONS
- $75,000 to the Community Foundation for staff capacity
- $5,000 to Harbor Impact Ministries
- $4,000 to the Salvation Army
- $9,000 to Port Huron High School & Woodrow Wilson Elementary School to support student needs
- Over $5,000 in other grants to Woodland Developmental Center, Literacy & Beyond and Central Star Lodge
“Jim obviously loved his hometown of Port Huron,” said Donna Niester, who worked closely with Jim for decades. “And through his advance estate planning he created multiple endowment funds managed by our local community foundation that he knew and trusted to carry on his giving for generations to come.”
These generous grants from the Acheson Donor Advised Fund helped the Community Foundation make more than 1,000 grant awards in 2023 totaling almost $5 million.
“Donor advised funds are a very flexible and convenient option for people, families and businesses,” said Randy Maiers, the president of the Community Foundation. “We manage dozens of donor advised funds that allow donors to make grants 365 days a year to anywhere in America.”
Another prominent endowment established from the Acheson family is the Howard Acheson Scholarship Fund which was originally started back in 1984. Today the fund is one of the Foundation’s most prestigious awards for students pursuing a college degree in the field of engineering.
“Although there are no more Acheson’s living in the Port Huron area, these endowment funds managed by our Community Foundation will ensure that the charitable goals of the Acheson’s will live on,” added Niester.
More information on setting up a donor advised fund can be found via this link; https://stclairfoundation.org/donor-advised-fund/